- Dr Mei-Jo (Melanie) Sung is committed to the gold standard of treatment for varicose vein conditions in “the bush capital” of Canberra.
- Melanie has a special interest in varicose veins, spider veins, lymphoedema, venous eczema and venous leg ulcers.
- She uses the latest and safest non-surgical, minimally-invasive technology to achieve optimal outcomes – both medically and aesthetically – for her patients.
Melanie was the first doctor in Australia to introduce the latest treatment technology, VENCLOSE™ RF Ablation System (approved by TGA) to her patients.
- She is also one of the few female doctors to undertake formal training in phlebology with the Australasian College of Phlebology (ACP) – the formal medical training provider in the treatment of venous diseases in Australia and New Zealand.
- Working in private practice has given Melanie a good understanding of the current local issues that patients face in seeking specialist care for their vein conditions; and her greatest passion is to establish a locally based service in Canberra that is readily accessible to Canberrans and people from the surrounding regions in NSW.
- Melanie regularly attends conferences and meetings held by AP and overseas organisations and has been mentored by some of the leading lights of vascular surgery and phlebology in Australia.
- She is also a clinical supervisor affiliated with ANU for training medical students and with the RACGP as a clinical supervisor.
- As a cancer patient herself (thyroid), Melanie understands the difficulties of navigating a complex or chronic health condition, and has a compassionate, friendly and empathic bedside approach to all her patients.
Outside of her clinic, Melanie enjoys music, traveling and is passionate skier. She lives in Canberra with her husband and her daughter.
Dr Melanie Sung’s Conditions and procedures
✔ Vascular Ultrasound
✔ Sclerotherapy Direct Vision
✔ Sclerotherapy AccuVein Assisted
✔ UGS Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy
✔ Spider Veins IPL/Vascular Laser Treatment
✔ Endovascular Thermal Ablation – Radiofrequency
✔ Endovascular Thermal Ablation – EVLA laser
✔ Endovascular Glue Ablation
✔ Compression Therapy
Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (First Class Honors)
2009 – University of Tasmania
Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of GPs (FRACGP)
2017 – Qualifications and Recent Professional Development
2022 – Advanced Training with Australasian College of Phlebology
Certificate of Clinician Performed Ultrasound with Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine
2021 – Attendance at Venous Symposium virtual conference
Ongoing RACGP accredited professional development workshops.
Certificate of Sclerotherapy
Ultrasound in Phlebology (Australian Institute of Ultrasound Training)
GP Synergy GP Supervisor workshop
Educational workshop for clinical supervisors
MSK Ultrasound Courses and workshop
Fellowship obtained from RACGP
Completion of courses in Obstetrics and MSK US with Australian Institute of Ultrasound
Professional Body Affiliations
Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
Australasian College of Phlebology
Australia National University
Australian Medical Association
General Practice Supervisors Association
Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine